Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Shelling Before Getting Shelled

I have always been told by my parents that safety should come first, regardless of the costs. It’s not they are paranoid about everything. People who are meticulous about their safety are just being reasonable. I mean, spending $20 for a criminal record search on your laundrywoman is definitely a bargain compared to the $2,000 in hospital bills that you might incur if it turns out that she has a penchant for washing blood-soaked clothes.

Having a serial killer for a laundrywoman really does seem far-fetched. Such a script would probably even be junked as an early-morning re-run or alternative for the Crime and Suspense channel. Statistics might even dissuade you from taking my advices seriously.

But statistics do play cruel jokes sometimes, and I certainly do not want to be at the end of those. I’m not saying that you should go through your entire list of friends and run a criminal record search on each of them (but you could :). My advice is simply not to disregard a criminal record search option no matter how angelic your house helper looks like.

No comments: