Thursday, October 26, 2006

Skin Deep

Have you ever prejudged somebody because of his appearance? I’m ashamed to admit it, but I’m sometimes guilty of it. I can’t help but be suspicious of people who dress or look 'differently'.

Before I confess my sins, I would like to make it clear that I’m strongly against discrimination. It’s not right to tag people as criminals just because they belong to a specific race or class.

I had a very embarrassing experience a few years ago. I have a friend who lives in a not-so-reputable portion of our city. I’m always uncomfortable whenever he’s in my room for fear that he might steal something. I was seriously considering a criminal record search done on him, but I had no money back then.

When things get lost inside my room, my mind automatically points to him. However, I’m always proven wrong since my sister turned out to be the real culprit in all those cases. I know, that was really shameful of me. And believe it or not, we remain friends to this day.

No comments: