I’ve just read the news that the United States and Canada will allow their respective law enforcement agencies to freely access each other’s forensic data.
If you’re a fan of the hit TV show CSI, then you basically have an idea as to how much this deal means to investigators. I’ve seen many episodes where investigations are unduly hampered because pieces of evidence are in the custody of different law enforcement groups. By the time they’re through with all the bureaucratic mess that comes with the retrieval of evidence, that object would already be meaningless since the perpetrator of the crime has already been able to cover his tracks.
I hope that this pact will spark the creation of similar ones (but with larger coverage). If law enforcement agencies around the world will share their criminal records with each other, then the apprehension of suspects or criminals would be expedited. When that time comes, offenders will definitely realize that crime really does not pay.
Friday, November 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment