Saturday, January 27, 2007

Avoiding the Courts

I shouldn’t have ridden a cab today.

One of my New Year’s resolutions for this year is to try not to ride a cab when going to the office. I have had horrible experiences with cab drivers in the city. They can be opportunistic, especially if they know that you’re not from town.

No, I wasn’t taken for an unwanted tour of downtown New York. I already learned the hard way that one would be taken for a joy ride if he or she falls asleep inside the cab. The cab that I was riding this morning bumped the rear of a motorcycle. The driver didn’t suffer any injury, but his bike suffered a minor dent.

Surprisingly, both drivers didn’t lash each other with their tongues. The owner of the motorcycle agreed with the cab driver that the minor traffic incident should not result in the creation of a criminal record for either of them. I think the cab driver just gave the victim his telephone number or the address of the taxi company.

No comments: