Monday, January 01, 2007

Paranoia

Two officemates of mine extended a late invitation last night to go with them to Times Square for the New Year party. I wanted to come, but paranoia got the better of me that day. I shouldn’t have watched CNN that morning.

The frequent video clips of car bombings in Iraq have raised fears in me of the possibility of similar attacks in US soil. Paranoia struck me last week when I stepped out of the train that I was already in and decided to just catch the next one since a man with a huge bag boarded the coach. I entertained the baseless suspicion the bag had a bomb in it.

The goal of terrorists is to inflict as much damage and cause as many deaths as possible. I thought that Times Square was a very tempting target for them, so I passed off Mike and Gil’s invitation. I told them about my fears and just laughed at me. I even joked that I might just end up conducting a criminal records search on every suspicious person that I see if I’ll go with them.

I’ll definitely join them next year. This paranoia of mine is really taking the fun out of my life.

No comments: