Saturday, January 13, 2007

More Than Meets The Eye

Even though the local news networks have already ran a number of features on the Shawn Hornbeck kidnapping, I’m still baffled by the case because of the puzzling facts that separate it from many abduction incidents.

The first thing that surprised was that the man who kidnapped Hornbeck had no criminal record except for two inconsequential traffic violations. His character or demeanor is not that suspicious or vicious either. Many of his neighbors thought that he was just an introvert or just doesn’t want to mingle with the neighbors.

I have a keen eye for suspicious behavior. However, I think I wouldn’t have been able to suspect or notice that Hornbeck was being kept against his will if I had seen him with the kidnapper. Some of the suspect’s neighbor even recounted that they once saw him and the boy pitching a tent outside their rented apartment.

Looks can be very deceiving. I guess people should have to exercise a higher degree of vigilance if they really want to help in the search for missing or abducted persons.

No comments: